Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SoundLab Owners Group
Owner's Group

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What Soundlabs do you have, and what upgrades (Read 8369 times)
bk12
Ex Member

Life is Good

Re: What Soundlabs do you have, and what upgrades
Reply #15 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 11:38am

I am a newbie to SL.  I have been thinking about a pair for years...finally bought a pair of A-3s that needed some major TLC about a year ago.  I am just now getting everything back together....can't wait to actually hear them after this long journey!  All said and done, they will have membrane rebuild plus Torroid I and new mixer.....I am so excited to hear these.  I am a long time planar fan (current setup is CLS I), but have never owned a SL speaker.

IP Logged

JP
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:49am

I still own and enjoy my aging SoundLab Auras. I'm considering upgrading to Toroid 1 or AU-90 transformers but I don't think further upgrades are warranted.

I really like the design of SoundLab U-1PXs which have more robust steel frames, larger panels, and improved electronics but cost prohibits me from taking that leap.

Before my SoundLab Auras, I owned Acoustat 1+1s which are now in storage. Before the 1+1s, I auditioned Magnepans and bought Apogee Calipers, my first planar speakers. A host of ported (B&W 801s and custom designed), horn (Klipschorns), and sealed (custom designed) speakers preceded my Calipers.

IP Logged

Doug
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:54am

Quote:
I have been a SL owner since the early 90s.  I have had just 2 different pairs, A2s and for a long time Auras.  I bought some of the first ones out.  Would love to get something better, but trying to get my boys through college without them having to go into debt at all, so that is my priority.

My Auras have a modified back plate although it has been so long I don't even remember exactly what was done.  The jumper settings have been bypassed, and I did have the panels upgraded a few years back.

Still love my Aura panels.

Lets see them!

IP Logged

Doug
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:58am

Quote:
OK  I'll join in.  I  have the Majestic 845s and love them!  Before these I had the M1-PX and the original M1.  I have always driven my Soundlabs with vacuum tube amplifiers.  Starting with Wolcott P-220 monoblocks I finally switched to VTL Wotans last year.  They are monsters but I will probably never part with them.  They respond well to vintage Tung Sol (USA) 6550s and selected matched 6350 and 12AT7s.

The only upgrade/mod I have made to the Majestics is the substitution of Stillpoints Ultra-SS feet.  It takes 10 of them and they are a bit pricey but as with everything in the "high-end" you can get discounts.  Certainly worth the investment.

The rest of my system is Aesthetix Callisto and IO, Audio Aero Capitole Mk2 fed by a mac mini running "Pure Music" and a Versa Dynamics 1.2 with the compressor from the 2.0.  Koetsu Coralstone cartridge and Purist Audio cables pretty much everywhere, including on the Majestics.

Any comments on the sound between the 1's and the 845's?

IP Logged

BSO
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Tri-State Area
Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 9:09am

I'm new to SLOG. I started with QUAD 57s, 63, ML CLS, A3s, and finally U-1s that have gradually been upgraded. I also purchased all my U-1 upgrades from Duke LeJeune as well as a pair of mono Wolcotts. I absolutely loved them and got all the bugs worked out. However, problems that were exacerbated by a move from a commercial wired 3000 cubic foot music room to an 1818 house with dodgy wiring. Problem: they drew too much current from the mains. They were sold off - I still have a collection of NOS classic Mullard, Philips, you name it, 6922s as well as Telefunken, Philips, etc. 6GW8s!
I've found that many expensive amps do not work with SLs. But, they would weep with CLs/Xs !

IP Logged

HJP
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.5.2!

Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 11:16am

I have U-1's powered by ARC REF 600 MK II's.  Front end is ARC REF 2 with its companion REF Phono.  Its in 15.5' x 25' room with 9' ceilings open to several other large spaces and 2 story ceilings.

With excellent program material, it comes very close to the live experience, sometimes "fool you" close.  Its by far and away the best sound I've ever had (or heard anywhere for that matter).

A friend put it best when he said "Listening to your system doesn't sound like listening to a stereo system at all.  It sounds like real live flesh and blood musicians playing in real live acoustic space right in front of me.  Its magical".  I couldn't have put it better myself.

FYI, my set up includes near field listening which is a revelation compared to the old equilateral triangle arrangement.  I'll never go back.  I recommend everyone try this.  I don't think you'd go back either.

IP Logged

bk12
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Reply #21 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 11:35am

Well, I have been through a bunch of pairs of Soundlabs since getting the A-3s going.  I have now settled on a pair of U-1PX with Hot Rod modification (Jenson PIO version) and the Toroid II.  I really love these speakers!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print