Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SoundLab Owners Group
Owner's Group

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
SoundLabs with various amplifiers? (Read 7138 times)
Paul Reale

Life is Goop

Re: SoundLabs with various amplifiers?
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 8:43am

I am sorry that the tube vs. SS thing seems too much like religious orthodoxy. For my part, I always tried to use SS amps with my M-1 PX's, but because of postings here by others, I tried tube and hybrid amps and found them to be superior in my situation. A long time ago an engineer friend of mine had an explanation why tubes seem to get timbres "more right:" the greater voltage swings allow for a more refined picture of what the original sound is really like, even with (exiguous, today) euphonic colorations.

IP Logged

Mark_M
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:04pm

I am running VTL Wotans with my 845px. Plenty of headroom! I had a friend bring his Matantz MA9S2 monoblocks over and they had no trouble driving them. Lacked that last bit of "there-ness" but I could probably live with them if I had to.

IP Logged

Paul Reale

Life is Goop

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:47am

The Wotans were the last amps I considered, until Stephen Sank brought over his hybrid prototypes, based on the old Moscode 600's. These amps were a marriage made in heaven for my M-1PX's with Toroid II's and hotrods.

IP Logged

bk12
Ex Member

Life is Good

Reply #18 - May 21st, 2014 at 6:18pm

I have been running my U-1PX with a new Theta NC1200 based amplifier, and it has provided the best sound yet.  I highly recommend that anyone looking for a new amp tries an in-home trial of one of these NC1200 Class D designs.

IP Logged

Kmund
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 6:49pm

Hello, has anyone run Pass Lab XA 160.5 amps with their Soundlab speakers? If so, how did they perform? Thank you? Or any of the Pass Lab amps?

IP Logged

operaman
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 4:31pm

Pass Lab amps have been demoed at Audio shows with Soundlab speakers. I remember the 2006 or was it 2007 RMAF when they were used as part of the Kimber cable Isomike demo. Quite impressive results from my perspective, although difficult to know how this demo of an Isomike recoding with an array of 6 Prostats ( commercial versions of the Majestic) in a large hotel room would relate to the individuals experience at home.
See also this link for comments on the demo at CES 2007
http://www.audiofederation.com/hifiing/2007/CES2007/report/high-end-audio/ces/th...

IP Logged

Kmund
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:45pm

Yes, I have read about that demo. Thank you for your response operaman

IP Logged

SL_nirvana
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 9:23pm

I'll play...  Smiley

I have used only Krell for power amplification with my setup, and have been very happy since the very first day I bought my M2s in 1999. Initially started with FPB 200 (stereo 200 W/channel into 8 ohms), eventually felt the urge to up the power as FPB 200 was getting a bit hot and strained at times.

End of last year, upgraded the M2s to PX membranes (kept older frames with ~70degree dispersion angle), and Toroid II transformers with the Hot Rod option. Around the same time, also upgraded to a much beefier Krell FPB 600 (600 W into 8 ohms).

Wow, what a difference both upgrades made. Now I sense no compression or psychological limitation in the back of my mind with power or ease of delivery of sound. Speaker upgrade to PX membrane + Toroid II + Hot Rod resulted in 8dB gain by itself. Amp upgrade also took it to another level. I thought I was happy with FPB 200... System is effortless now, with all the excellent virtues of Sound Lab sound we all love.

I think I am done for a long time for both speakers and amp choice...

For anyone curious about amp power, it makes huge difference even within the same manufacturer/model line up. FPB 200 is no comparison to its bigger sibling FPB 600 when it comes to driving Sound Labs.

IP Logged

George Henschke
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

San Diego, CA
Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 10:24pm

SL_nirvana's comments about amp power are very much in line with my own experience.  See my July 27th, 2014 post (Reply #3) under the "Midrange presence" thread.  The higher voltage capability afforded by high power amps makes a huge difference for impact and dynamic ease.

IP Logged

Paul Reale

Life is Goop

Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:07am

I found the same thing to be true with my M-1PX's, even with the Toroid II's which increase efficiency. However, I could never find a solid state 600W amp that produced the smoothness that a hybrid or tube amp produces. I liked the Walcotts very much, but after getting Stephen Sank's prototype hybrid monoblocks, based on the old Moscode 600, I wold never go back to any SS amp.

IP Logged

fuzzy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 10:38am

I have played my A3 with the Crown Macrotech reference amplifier. These speakers need a lot of power. The amp makes 800 watts a channel and I would consider bridging if I had another. When it comes to peaks like in vocals at a life concert you need all you can get. Also nice tight bass at what ever meager bass this SL is capable off. It does show with organs. That is why I still have this amp. Low power amps just don't perform as well to my ears. I am very sure there are sweeter sounding solutions and I am ready to look into that but only in direct A/B I must be totally convinced before I give this monster up. Meanwhile is has to live next door due to that menacing fan! Grin

IP Logged

fuzzy
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 10:39am

I like to add it is the original A3 with the original toroidal with no later updates.

IP Logged

TWB
Global Moderator

Ultimate Audio SoundLab
Dealer

Northern California
Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 7:35pm

After several years of driving my U-1PX Soundlabs with a pair of Ayre MXR's and being very pleased with the results, I have moved on. Currently in house, on a demo loan from Reno Hi-Fi, is a pair of Pass Labs X-260.8 mono blocks. Better bass, more control and authority, deeper and wider soundstage. At approximately 96 hours, these amps are still breaking in, but I am not hearing anything objectionable. They seem to be a great match, and have reserve power to spare.
I don't think they are going back.

Tom
Ultimate Audio
Music Lover
Audio Evangelist
Steward of the Forest
Located in San Francisco and the N. California Wine Country, in the boonies!
Visitors Welcome

IP Logged

Miko1971
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 6:06am

I use (2) Sunfire 300 watt amplifiers bridged with my A1's and because of the amplifiers load invariant high current design, i am quite satisfied.

IP Logged

BSO
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Tri-State Area
Reply #29 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 4:13am

Quote:
Five Parasound JC-1 amplifiers, designed by John Curl, driving five SounndLab M-1PX. The important specification is an output voltage drive of +/- 100 Volts.

Aside from Tom's great system (covet, covet) I think it important to bring out two aspects, whether using pre- PX panels, pre-Toroid 1 or 2 backplates. The voltage drive of the amplifiers is critical to have accurate bass reproduction just as the current capability at high frequencies (since an electrostat resembles a capacitor this variable resistance, as SLOG members know, varies from 30 Ohms or less at low frequencies requiring volts, lots of volts) whereas the high frequencies require current. Thus the ability of the amp to put out the 100 volts.
Second, the mains circuits must be able to supply at least 15 amps - preferably 20 amps - to each mono block of conventional A or A/B design whether tube or transistor. By simple formula this is required to to supply the juice that the amp converts to DC.
I found that lesson out for myself when I moved from a very large , e.g. 35' peaked asymmetric ceilings, listening room that had it own 200 amp service panel !  With dedicated 20 amp lines generously spread throughout. Wolcott's, Pass Labs of different generations, all sounded great with my u-1s then PX then Toroid 1.  The Wolcott's were perfectly reliable. Pat from Wolcott calculated the peak input requirement of the amp from the mains was 17 amps, although in playing normal music it did not approach that. (BTW the Levinson 432 500 watts/channel went into thermal overload at moderate volumes sounded terrible and was returned) When I moved to an 1818 house that has dubious mains wiring, with a 140 amp panel for the entire house, the Wolcott's sounded terrible.
Consider that the aficionado has to get the mains supply at an RMS amperage level for each part of the system right before evaluating any component.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print