Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SoundLab Owners Group
Owner's Group

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
SoundLabs with various amplifiers? (Read 8038 times)
TWB
Global Moderator

Ultimate Audio SoundLab
Dealer

Northern California
Re: SoundLabs with various amplifiers?
Reply #45 - May 17th, 2017 at 7:30pm

There was a time over 15 years ago when there was a very active contributor to the Audiogon Forum (back when it was still a credible site, by the name of JFox, who owned SoundLab A-1's and CAT amps. He was true audiophile, music lover, and an articulate writer who I believe came close to making SL speakers perform at or near their potential. He inspired me and I considered him my mentor. He loved his CAT amps. The rest of his gear was also top notch. While I have not had the opportunity to experience CATs in my system, I have no doubt they are stellar performers. If you search the archives on Audiogon, you might be able to find his posts. Worth reading.

Tom
Ultimate Audio
Music Lover
Audio Evangelist
Steward of the Forest
Located in San Francisco and the N. California Wine Country, in the boonies!
Visitors Welcome

IP Logged

-Mike
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

U.S. Midwest
Reply #46 - May 18th, 2017 at 12:42pm

[font=Verdana]
[/font] Quote:
There was a time over 15 years ago when there was a very active contributor to the Audiogon Forum (back when it was still a credible site, by the name of JFox, who owned SoundLab A-1's and CAT amps. He was true audiophile, music lover, and an articulate writer who I believe came close to making SL speakers perform at or near their potential. He inspired me and I considered him my mentor. He loved his CAT amps. The rest of his gear was also top notch. While I have not had the opportunity to experience CATs in my system, I have no doubt they are stellar performers. If you search the archives on Audiogon, you might be able to find his posts. Worth reading.

TWB: I too found jafox many years ago; so regarding jafox, I agree with you 110 %!! 

I find it impossible to express all the positives of getting to know jafox via Audiogon and then the sharing of multiple PM’s over more than a decade! 

I am a lifetime member of John’s fan club and as you, I also consider him to be a mentor!!  There are others:  Thom Mackris of Galibier Design, Jim Jordan of Vaughn Loudspeakers and a former local audio store owner….and others whose names are familiar here and elsewhere!

I discovered jafox’s posts on Audiogon many years ago.  Jafox's posts and my personal communications with him have been very inspirational and informative!!  I can’t tell you how appreciative I am of jafox sharing the results of his many tube rolling experiences and adventures! He is a walking vacuum tube database regarding our like components and their tube requirements!  Each time I tried one of John’s recommendations, my findings resulted in a positive peer review experience!

I initially became attuned to John (https://forum.audiogon.com/users/jafox), because he owned both Soundlabs and CAT amplification; the same as I did! 

Continue On Page 2.....

IP Logged

-Mike
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

U.S. Midwest
Reply #47 - May 18th, 2017 at 12:47pm

Page 2....

After reading jafox’s cogently articulate and prolific posts, I realized that he was truly an audiophile whom I could relate sonically to!  That’s the beauty of forums!  One needs to read copious amounts of data and thousands of posts sometimes over decades, before the haze becomes clear.  After all that effort, personalities, judgements, and conclusion begin to gel and as I’ve found, one can come to depend upon the conclusions of certain folks like jafox!  It does take a significant investment of time, head-scratching etc., but a poster like jafox’s audio sensibilities do tend to begin to ring true with the results being as you and I have found TWB!

I bought my pre-amp partially because of jafox’s experiences.  And when considering the purchase of a Lampizator DAC, low and behold, I found (via Audiogon) that jafox had just acquired a Lampizator DAC, so I knew that sonically I was heading in pretty darn good direction!  The proof is always in a home test and my 2-Lampizator’s have proven to be the real deal.  There is always a risk associated with boutique and small volume-wise audio manufacturers, but in my many experiences, the results have been spectacular finds and the acquisition of heirloom audio pieces!!!   

Obviously, one can never really take another’s recommendation to the bank 100% of the time.  But when you can find an audiophile kindred spirit (as I consider jafox to be), it is a wonderful occasion!!

Cheers to JaFox and so many other audiophiles that – minus a vested interest in specific brands or manufacturer’s – provide reasoned reviews and with their time, share so freely their audio experiences and ultimately their lessons learned, so others may learn and benefit!! 

IP Logged

TWB
Global Moderator

Ultimate Audio SoundLab
Dealer

Northern California
Reply #48 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:18pm

Mike, thank you for such a concisely written affirmation of my praise for jafox and his contributions to the audiophile community. I rarely visit Audiogon today, so was unaware that he still posts.

If I were to return to tube amplification, CAT (and A-S) amps would certainly be high on my list.

Tom
Ultimate Audio
Music Lover
Audio Evangelist
Steward of the Forest
Located in San Francisco and the N. California Wine Country, in the boonies!
Visitors Welcome

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print