Send Topic Print
945PX vs. U-1PX (Read 553 times)
Needle
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

945PX vs. U-1PX
Apr 24th, 2017 at 4:43pm

Hi folks,

I'm brand new here on the forum and a total newbie to ESL. I first heard a pair of SL (A-1) two weeks ago and the sound I heard is still ringing in my head! The realism was frightening.

So, now I'm looking to buy a pair.

If anyone here has heard both the 945PX and the U-1PX, can you please explain the difference in sound quality between them?

Thanks in advance !

IP Logged

BSO
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Tri-State Area
Re: 945PX vs. U-1PX
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017 at 5:52am

BSO wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 5:41am:
The basic difference is the size. The Maj-945 is approximately 9' tall; the U-1 is about 7' tall. The width and so on is proportionate. The Majestic has (choice of wood) added to the face of a metal frame. The U-1 has a modern/classic black gloss paint finish whilst having a very sturdy frame that is a metal pipe. If you're buying used you can contact me to discuss whether these speakers had upgrades and which ones. I'll need the serial numbers for a start.

As far as which one to choose, all other things being equal, because the SL is essentially a line source speaker it really depends how large you room is and how tall a speaker you can fit in it. Sonically, all other things being equal the U-1 is considered the ultimate Cool sonically but the 945 might work better in your listening room or domestic situation. If you had one rather than the other you would not miss the other one, as you say, they are that good.

If you look on my website you can see a pictures of U-1PXs along with the U-4iAs that are now called U-545, these being 5' tall. I'm expecting a pair of these soon for demonstration having sold the U-1PX Consummate demos.

These speakers you are referring to have been replaced with the new U-745 and the Majestic 845. The former is 7' and the latter 8' - get it? All the full range elctrostats from the Ultimate, Audiophile, and Majestic series now have Bass Focus, Consummate backplates (Hot Rod, premium components/wire, etc. and Toroid 2 transformers) and a 45 degree listening area.The Millennium range is gone. Thus the lines are simplified and updated.

IP Logged

Needle
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Re: 945PX vs. U-1PX
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2017 at 10:34pm

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

BSO wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 5:52am:
BSO wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 5:41am:
The basic difference is the size. The Maj-945 is approximately 9' tall; the U-1 is about 7' tall. The width and so on is proportionate. The Majestic has (choice of wood) added to the face of a metal frame. The U-1 has a modern/classic black gloss paint finish whilst having a very sturdy frame that is a metal pipe. If you're buying used you can contact me to discuss whether these speakers had upgrades and which ones. I'll need the serial numbers for a start.

As far as which one to choose, all other things being equal, because the SL is essentially a line source speaker it really depends how large you room is and how tall a speaker you can fit in it. Sonically, all other things being equal the U-1 is considered the ultimate Cool sonically but the 945 might work better in your listening room or domestic situation. If you had one rather than the other you would not miss the other one, as you say, they are that good.

If you look on my website you can see a pictures of U-1PXs along with the U-4iAs that are now called U-545, these being 5' tall. I'm expecting a pair of these soon for demonstration having sold the U-1PX Consummate demos.

These speakers you are referring to have been replaced with the new U-745 and the Majestic 845. The former is 7' and the latter 8' - get it? All the full range elctrostats from the Ultimate, Audiophile, and Majestic series now have Bass Focus, Consummate backplates (Hot Rod, premium components/wire, etc. and Toroid 2 transformers) and a 45 degree listening area.The Millennium range is gone. Thus the lines are simplified and updated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print