Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SoundLab Owners Group
Owner's Group

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coming home to Sound Lab (Read 1674 times)
planarfool
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Coming home to Sound Lab
Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:35am

After an eighteen year absence, I finally have another (my sixth!) pair of Sound Labs on order.  I started with a pair of A1s with a B1 Stereo Subwoofer in the mid 80's, then to a second pair of A1s with the wings, next a pair Pristine lls, finally a last pair of A1s and a pair of mini stats.  I felt the tonality of the Sound Labs was superior to anything that I had heard, but with repeated reliability problems I could no longer bear disassembling the cores, driving an hour and a half to the nearest airport with large enough jets to accept them, etc etc. Also, marriage and three children in four years discourages giant audio outlays.  Now the children are teenagers and SLs have evolved with PX panels and bass focus, and I am looking forward to a pair of 545s which hopefully will not dominate the room the way A1s do.  Although I have been the whole tube/OTL route, I will not go down that road again, living in Florida and with little tolerance for fiddling, so I will be using a pair of Bryston 7B3 for lots of power and a PS Audio BHK/DSMP/DSD front end.  Really looking forward to that Sound Lab sound in a smaller package.

Cheers,

Mark

IP Logged

TWB
Global Moderator

Ultimate Audio- SoundLab
Dealer

Northern California
Re: Coming home to Sound Lab
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 2:13pm

Now that you have had some time with the 545's, could you give us a report? How big a room are they in, and how do they compare to your previous experience with the larger panels?

Tom
Ultimate Audio
Music Lover
Audio Evangelist
Steward of the Forest
Located in San Francisco
and the N. California Wine Country,
in the boonies!
Visitors Welcome

IP Logged

Paul Reale

Life is Goop

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 8:15am

I am curious, too. I think that the smaller Sound labs require more amplifier power. What kind of amp are you using?

IP Logged

bk12
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 3:53pm

Glad to have you back in the fold.  Once you go Soundlab, tough to go anywhere else!

IP Logged

TWB
Global Moderator

Ultimate Audio- SoundLab
Dealer

Northern California
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2018 at 1:02pm

planarfool wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:35am:
After an eighteen year absence, I finally have another (my sixth!) pair of Sound Labs on order.  I started with a pair of A1s with a B1 Stereo Subwoofer in the mid 80's, then to a second pair of A1s with the wings, next a pair Pristine lls, finally a last pair of A1s and a pair of mini stats.  I felt the tonality of the Sound Labs was superior to anything that I had heard, but with repeated reliability problems I could no longer bear disassembling the cores, driving an hour and a half to the nearest airport with large enough jets to accept them, etc etc. Also, marriage and three children in four years discourages giant audio outlays.  Now the children are teenagers and SLs have evolved with PX panels and bass focus, and I am looking forward to a pair of 545s which hopefully will not dominate the room the way A1s do.  Although I have been the whole tube/OTL route, I will not go down that road again, living in Florida and with little tolerance for fiddling, so I will be using a pair of Bryston 7B3 for lots of power and a PS Audio BHK/DSMP/DSD front end.  Really looking forward to that Sound Lab sound in a smaller package.

Cheers,

Mark

We are fast approaching one year since your post. By now, I assume, you have had time to form an opinion of the  545's. I, and I assume others, all await your post.
Thanks,
Tom Smiley

Tom
Ultimate Audio
Music Lover
Audio Evangelist
Steward of the Forest
Located in San Francisco
and the N. California Wine Country,
in the boonies!
Visitors Welcome

IP Logged

Paul Reale

Life is Goop

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2018 at 8:26am

I wish you luck with the Brystons; however, I tried Bryston monsters with my M-1 PX's, with hotrods, and it was not the best synergy. I finally went back to the hybrid route with a pair of monoblocks that were custom made. That, with the process of removing the brilliance control and replacing with with a good ohmite resistor, (2 or 4 ohms seem to work best) gave me the sound I wanted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print