Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A1 panel arcing over (Read 174 times)
Penguin
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

A1 panel arcing over
Aug 8th, 2017 at 5:54am

Hi Everybody, I have not been around here for a long while... One of my panels started to arc over, i used Dow-Corning 748 sealant at the place where i found it to arc over, it seemed to have fixed the problem for a while and now I have a new arc over in the near vicinity of the first place.  Is this something normal?  Do you find that once the panel starts arcing it is a loosing battle and it will just keep migrating to new locations?  Is there a way to determine this by some sort of inspection where the insulation is weakened? 

dee
;-D

IP Logged

Jian
YaBB Newbies

Re: A1 panel arcing over
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 2:43pm

One of my speaker, 945, is starting to arc, too. I guess the panel is going to fail one day. I will try to use silicone to see if I can cure the problem. Otherwise, I donít know what I can do except sending the speaker back to Sound Lab.

IP Logged

HJP
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.5.2!

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 5:46pm

[quote author=75683F0 link=1502196863/1#1 date=1502574226]One of my speaker, 945, is starting to arc, too. I guess the panel is going to fail one day. I will try to use silicone to see if I can cure the problem. Otherwise, I donít know what I can do except sending the speaker back to Sound Lab.[/quote

IIRC, there is a "fix" in the archives of this web site outlining how to re-insulate a stator wire breakdown.  If you are experiencing charge migration between a stator wire and the diaphragm (not stator to stator), its 95% sure its the dialectric sleeve on one of the stator wires in a specific place experiencing breakthrough leaking.  Re-insulating this place will usually solve your problem.

Arcing on the other hand is a violent "short" between a pair of stator wires of opposite polarity (between one of the rear and one of the front wires in a specific place) through the diaphragm.  This will burn a significant hole in the diaphragm and usually necessitate its replacement as well as the offending stator wires.  This is immediate and catastrophic (and somewhat unusual).

Most likely you are experiencing charge migration and leakage breakthrough as previously explained which in all likely hood can be fixed.

If not in these archives, it definitely exists and is documented somewhere, perhaps on SoundLab's own site.

IP Logged

Penguin
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 12:16pm

tried the silicone treatment....the arcing happened where the yellow wire is connected to the copper ring, it was rather difficult to et the goop behind the strator wires and don far under the frame, but the arching is gone, now i get a rushing sound and a light pop when i turn up the bias.  I still must have a leak, but how do i locate it?  no visible clues.

dee
;-D

IP Logged

Penguin
YaBB Newbies

Life is Good

Reply #4 - Yesterday at 4:38pm

Still making strange noises and it discharges somewhere.  Any ideas how to locate it?  is the re a tool of some sort to detect it.  Use a funnel and tube, any suggestions?  In total darkness i cannot see any flickering anywhere.  Can it be  under the frame somewhere?

dee
;-D

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print