Atma-Sphere MA1 3.2 vs Pass XA60.8 amp

home Forums General Discussion Atma-Sphere MA1 3.2 vs Pass XA60.8 amp

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    lotus123
    Participant

@chungih, PS audio has 60-day return if you don’t like it. Uncle Paul says for the much investments, a little return shipping is well worth it because there is nothing more true than having the gear in your own system at your own listening environment.

chungjh
    Participant

lotus123, good point. Another amp that is interesting to me is Carver 350 tube amp. Anyone hear them with SL?

chungjh
    Participant

@cosmoman

There are some VTL amps on Hifishark, from MB450 to 30 year old 225s. You hinted that VTLs are less reliable than Atma Sphere. In what way?

I heard from an owner of 225s that he hadn’t had any troubles. Shipping these 100 mono’s back to the factory would be a hassle.

hpfish10
    Participant

Chungjh, how hard was it to upgrade your bias supplies. One of my A1 panel plays ok but even setting it at max I could not hear any crackle so I am thinking to upgrade the bias supply.

blgtrio
    Participant

Hi hpfish10, swap backplate from one panel to the other to see if the panel still does not make a crackling sound. If it does crackle when reversing the backplate you may have a fissure in the insulation of the panel which would require sending back to Sound Lab.

chungjh
    Participant

@hpfish10

If you know how to solder, it is a piece of cake. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to solder. I paid someone $85 to solder the 6 wires. A new bias supply will run you $295.

yoshi
    Participant

Hi Phish10:

The new regulated bias supplies are straight forward to install if you can do easy soldering.

On my backplates, the new bias supplies would not fit horizontally. So, I had to stand them on endwith removal of one plastic flange and secure them with hinge angles and glue.

If you have a larger backplate, they should fit in. Either way, they will fit in.

Roger will send you the bias supplies with sufficient lead length and a new bias pot and schematic for installation. All is straight forward and takes under an hour to fiddle through for each panel. The price from SL is most reasonable in MHO.

Highly recommended to do this. My opinion is that new bias supplies provide almost twice as much bias output as the older unit and is ac input voltage regulated to boot.

Ken

chungjh
    Participant

Yoshi

Which model SL do you have? It sounds like an older model.

Jay

yoshi
    Participant

Hello jay:

Yes, I had an older model on the Pristine 2. I think I purchased them back in the mid 1990s.

Since then, diaphragm change, copper diffusion ring, power supply, back plate upgrades, new Reg. bias supplies and a special order design modified 560 base focused panels fitted to the pristine 2 metal frame. Roger says there is nothing more I can do with these backplates.

Ken

chungjh
    Participant

@yoshi

Wow, I am impressed with your loyalty to your Pristine 2. Why didn’t you just upgrade to new ones? Cost?

Stphotog
    Participant

I am the same way I got mine for $1300 and I could possibly add another 2k in upgrades. A M545 would be like 14k would It REALLY be that different?
    It would be smaller by 1/2 foot

Stphotog
    Participant

Mine may be pristine 1 for all I know.

yoshi
    Participant

Yes. The series of upgrades over the years was not that expensive. The new base focused panels were very cost effective vs purchasing new speakers. Although I do not have the consummate backplates, I have many of the updates in them and to my mind, saved thousands to get a big upgrade with the a unique new “560” base focused panel in a pristine panel metal stand.

Yes, I would like to have 6 or 7’ panel, but in a smaller condo dedicated audio room, they work great.

Running them with a heavily upgraded and modified VTL 225t mono blocks and they have plenty of drive for these panels.

Ken

chungjh
    Participant

How much did the 560 panel cost?

Stphotog
    Participant

I was quoted 6350 for the newest panel from Roger. PX the whole deal

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.