Best amp/preamp to go with SL?

home Forums General Discussion Best amp/preamp to go with SL?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  yoshi 10 hours, 17 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

chungjh
    Participant

I am thinking about what the best amp/preamp set up for SL speakers is (with consummate plates).

1.Dr. West recommended Parasound JC-1/5.
    2. Pass Labs
    3. Atma Sphere
    4. Ayre

What would you recommend in a 400 sq ft room? I don’t listen at rock concert levels.

yoshi
    Participant

for a room that size, suggest a 200 watt tube power amp. I use VTLs with very good results; other high quality tube amps of this output should work fine. My suggestion is get a very good preamp to make your system really sing, like a Audio Research LS-28, Ref.5 or 6.

good luck, and post your choice with comments.

Ken

MikeB
    Participant

1) Atma-sphere MA-1 – Presently Owned; They replaced my CAT amps.
    2) Any CAT (Convergent Technology Amps) (Owned JL1’s and JL3’s) At 100 watts and 150 watts respectively, CAT amps are very, very under rated.
    3) Parasound Halo JC1 (Auditioned)
    4) Mark Levinson (336 Owned) The CAT JL1’s replaced this amp. The JL1’s improved upon every sonic signature, especially control/drive on my then M1 Soundlabs.

chungjh
    Participant

Thanks Ken and Mike

It seems that a lot of people like tube amps with SL. Is it something specific about SL that goes well with tubes or do you feel this way with all speakers?

Mike, so you don’t use M1’s any more? What do you use now?

yoshi
    Participant

Left transistors 25 years ago, for sonic reasons!

Yes, they are great on SL and I think they just sound more natural.

Ken

TWB

“Left transistors 25 years ago, for sonic reasons!”

25 years ago, that was true. Today, not so much. Pass Labs do an amazing job on Sound Labs, without any of the hassles associated with tubes. Wolcott amps do a great job with Sound Labs, but I’m not going back to tubes.

The Parasound JC-1 amps do a very competent job, but lack soul.

A great preamp is an asset in any system.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  TWB.

chungjh
    Participant

Hi Tom

What changed in SS evolution over the past 25 year that improved the SQ?

MikeB
    Participant

“Mike, so you don’t use M1’s any more? What do you use now?”

I sold my M1’s for M1PX’s with Hot Rod and Consummate upgrades; recently purchasing Atma-sphere MA-1 OTL’s.

The former SLOG forum contained a several page post relative to amplification and specifically my amplifier sojourn.

TWB

“What changed in SS evolution over the past 25 year that improved the SQ?”

Nelson Pass and Dan D’Agostino could better answer that question than I. They both have had a lot to say. A little research should provide some answers.

supportmac
    Participant

I would recommend Atma Sphere as well. I have recently purchased Soundlab speakers which I run with Atma Sphere M-60 + MP-1 right now. I live in Paris. We have many fine tube amplifiers here in Europe. But I largerly prefer Atma Sphere gear over any other tube amplifier which I have listened so far. That should tell you how good these are.

chungjh
    Participant

@supportmac

Which Soundlab did you get?

supportmac
    Participant

I’m using Dynastat III. Very nice speaker. He actually replaced Quad speakers

yoshi
    Participant

It’s been the great debate for years: SS vs.tubes. Both platforms are better now than 25 years ago.

Just passing on my experience and pleasure enjoying a tube based system. Love the natural, full sound and fabulous dimensionality. No regrets here.

Enjoy…

Ken

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.