Pristine vs Dynastat

home Forums General Discussion Pristine vs Dynastat

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Good work Ken. Many thanks for digging them up. Hopefully I can set aside time tonight to get on it all.

DD

yoshi
        Participant

Fixed resistor install and new regulated bias supply installed in an original Pristine 2 backplate:

– 4 ohm, 50 watt, non-inductive
          – new new bias supply installed on-end to fit in

Ken

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          yoshi
          Participant

I did a repair on an arcing problem on an original panel. I only removed enough sock to access the problem area.

K

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Anonymous

Hi Ken,

Glad to hear you still have them and thanks for the data. Do you happen to have any pics of the unsocked panels? Soon I’m going to closely inspect mine. And pics prior to doing so would really be great.

Thanks,
              DD

yoshi
              Participant

Yes, I have the original panels in storage. One is perfect, the other has a repair to the insulator and a punched diaphragm, but, it still works…

The Toroid 1 install was a separate Initiative. I sent the backplates back to the factory for install and a some cross over updates.

The New BF panels were a special order to fit my metal stands. I am also in Canada, so added shipping was involved. Roger was particularly helpful and accommodating throughout the the process. You should contact him directly for costs, panel dimensions and shipping. I will say that the costs are less than a heavily discounted new pair of 545s. So if the Pristine size matches your room volume (around 2400 cubic feet if I recall), than this is an option, IMO. The new panels are much heavier than my original panels.

Ken

Anonymous

Hi Ken,

It sounds like you’ve done a great job updating your Pristine II’s. Do you still have your original panels? Roughly what is the cost of the new panels along with the toroid?

Thanks,
                  DD

yoshi
                  Participant

Hello Chungjh:

Sorry for the delay in response.

After the break in, yes, there is a clearly more bass as expected with double the bass panel area. With the PX/BF, the whole spectrum is improved and envelopes the room( ie. right sized for this speaker in my environment) No reduction is HF either. The imaging with the BF is improved. The whole experience has motivated me to challenge the positioning of the speaker. I now have a more acute toe-in, and with the original Pristine 2 frame at a rack angle of about 3 degrees backwards, I have slowly elevated the rear to about a 1 percent rake. Combined with the toe in and the the midrange set to + 3db, the whole system has launched up big time. Very satisfying! I have a home made sallies in the rear, angled to the rake, 5’ high as well. All combined, it snaps up the front projection nicely and reduces the backwave.

Other improvements include a fixed resistor over on the tweeter pot which resulted in a surprisingly improvement is HF smoothness and imaging.

As for the amp, I am using VTL 225T mono blocks, heavily modified and update, with Winged C El34, 12au7 Brimar NOS and and sylvania black plate 6350. The 12au7 is not standard, and was modified to this tube along with other updates. All caps and resistors upgraded. Output is about 110 watts in a 8 ohm load( form the standard 5 ohm) and hard wired in triode mode. Lots of drive for the pristine 2 with a Toroid 1 update.

Let us know how you make out….

Ken

yoshi
                    Participant

Hello Chungjh:

Sorry for the delay in response.

After the break in, yes, there is a clearly more bass as expected with double the bass panel area. With the PX/BF, the whole spectrum is improved and envelopes the room( ie. right sized for this speaker in my environment) No reduction is HF either. The imaging with the BF is improved. The whole experience has motivated me to challenge the positioning of the speaker. I now have a more acute toe-in, and with the original Pristine 2 frame at a rack angle of about 3 degrees backwards, I have slowly elevated the rear to about a 1 percent rake. Combined with the toe in and the the midrange set to + 3db, the whole system has launched up big time. Very satisfying! I have a home made sallies in the rear, angled to the rake, 5’ high as well. All combined, it snaps up the front projection nicely and reduces the backwave.

Other improvements include a fixed resistor over on the tweeter pot which resulted in a surprisingly improvement is HF smoothness and imaging.

Let us know how you make out…

Ken

chungjh
                      Participant

Ken

Was there a substantial increase in bass with the new panel? What are you using to drive them?

yoshi
                        Participant

hi: I have Pristine2 for many years, and just updated them to base-focused PX panels.

my room is somewhat larger than yours. The pristine will provide a big sound in that space. They are a wonderful speaker.

Ken

BelleMusique
                          Participant

Hello SL lovers,
                            Have any of you owned both Pristine and Dynastat model ? If so, can you please compare these two nice big babies please ? My room is 5,5m x 3,7m. I already own Dynastat. I have spotted a pair of Pristine on second hand market, so I wonder if Pristine may be any better (or worst) compared to Dynastat. I live in Paris, Soundlab speakers are pretty rare here. Thanks for your toughts.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.