Virtual Factory Tour?

home Forums General Discussion Virtual Factory Tour?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

The PX (professional extension) core technology was used by both the Prostat 922 along with other models around the same time. The narrow angle 922 was intended for use in horizontal arrays as Ray Kimber demonstrated for a couple of years at RMAF and Vegas. While he used three, four across produces a darn big 90 degree speaker!

lotus123
        Participant

I couldn’t pinpoint what was bothering my ears listening to M945 then. I am sure I wasn’t the only one at the RMAF had the same impression about the sound. It had frequency extension but lacking a richer tone. I almost sold mine until I read about the after market AU90 high frequency transformer mod that addressed the mid low frequency suck-out. And yet SL received glowing reviews until this issue was permanently resolved with updated high frequency transformers.

kilkil
          Participant

Bringing back memories is always fun.

I own a pair of Prostat 922, which I think were built in 2006. Shown at RMAF 2006 and others.

I was thinking the Prostat was the precursor to the Majestic PX line, though since the M945 obviously existed for the Chicago show, does this mean the Majestic line already existed or where they built almost simultaneously?

Anonymous

That was an enjoyable weekend! And you got me in the pics helping the good doctor with assembly.

John V
              Participant

Hi Ralph,

Glad to able to once again participate in the discussions here.
                To add a bit to your comments, I was also with you at the Chicago Audio Meeting back in 2006. It was great to meet and spend time with Connie and Roger, first at Brian Walsh’s place, later at dinner that Saturday evening and the following day at the actual meeting. Here are a few pictures from that event.

The first few pictures show a number of attendees, SLOG members, assisting Roger in setting up a pair of M945’s hours prior to the start of the meeting.
                The last pix. is of Roger and Connie.
                Also, Richard Schramm of Parasound was also in attendance.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                kilkil
                Participant

I never heard the Acoustats, though I did hear the Sanders system (at Rogers house/facility) and definitely very head in a vise, moving my head 1″ either way drastically reduced the sound quality.

I agree on the excellence of imaging with the SoundLabs and most surprised by how great they sound throughout the house, I frequently turn them up just to enjoy when i’m cooking.

Anonymous

The way Dr. West explained it is that most of us can fairly easily focus on a conversation in the midst of a busy room where lots of folks are talking. For him, the other conversations in the background pose a challenge for being able to clearly hear just one.

Similarly, many speakers deliver a diffuse image that varies by frequency so that the result loses that sense of realism. Sound Lab speakers sound realistic to these ears even when you hear them from a different room! As a previous Acoustat 2+2 user with a nearly “head-in-a-vise” sweet spot, I find that the image varies little regardless of my position in the room. Up close. Far away. Sitting down. Standing up. In front. Behind them. I am lucky that I have a dedicated 25’x16′ room where I am able to position them best. Which for my room means they are about 8′ from front wall which is close to the “Rule of Thirds” concept I learned from mentor Harry Pearson.

kilkil
                    Participant

I’m glad you’re visible now and had a great conversation.

I didn’t know about his comb filter effects issue, though I think things like this is really what drives all these different companies. Each of us prioritize what we require from an audio experience. I hold headphone/audio meets at my house twice a year and people explain why they like a headphone/amp/dac and I can understand their reasoning, but their reason could be way down in my list of priorities and thus the reason that my ideal system is not someone else’s ideal system.

My first electrostats are the Quad 2905 (currently my office system), I do love them, however in comparison to the big Soundlabs, I think the Soundlabs are better in everyway (except price and physical size).

Anonymous

Now that my posts are no longer invisible, I’d like to chime in on this post. Years ago, I made a pilgrimage to Gunnison and toured the facility.

Yes, it is modest but I thoroughly enjoyed long conversations with Brent and Connie. It seems my timing was poor as Dr. West was away at the time. I had previously met he and Connie at a meeting of the Chicago Audio Society years ago, where I got to know him.

I found it quite interesting that he suffers from a hearing anomaly that impairs his ability to minimize comb filter effects. Which makes perfect sense for a gentleman who has created the most coherent sounding speaker in my experience. Even more so than Quads and Dayton-Wrights which began my love of stats when I was a teen.

D10
                        Participant

I love those pics – especially for the company who make speakers second to none!

kilkil
                          Participant

Thanks Tom. It is great to get some insight into the company.

TWB

As a dealer over the last 20 years, I’ve been there several times to p/u and/or drop off product. The “factory” consists of a large metal building adjacent to the residence of Dr. West where they do final assembly, testing, and preparation for shipment. In essence, they are built to order, one at a time. Typically, there will be several pair on site at any one time, some being upgraded. Not much to photograph, certainly no “tours”!

If you choose to go for a visit, be aware that Gunnison is a very small farming community of about 3600 people, in the middle of nowhere, about 1.5 hours south of Salt Lake City. The only place I saw to stay reminded me of the Bates Motel! One restaurant (burgers). Since I was towing a cargo trailer, I camped. Take note of the SL crates in the trailer. I slept on top of them!

Brett, shown in the interior photo, is the production manager and a member of the family. If you ever need help, he is the one to talk to. A great asset!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by TWB.
                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              kilkil
                              Participant

Does anyone have photos/videos of a Sound Lab factory tour?

I love watching/seeing how things are made and would love to see some photos of the process. Part of me want to take a trip to Utah just to see the factory.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.