Is bigger always better?

home Forums General Discussion Is bigger always better?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      TWB

As a SL Dealer I am able to offer the opportunity to hear both the 545’s and the 845’s.Both with all the current SOTA features and “high end” electronics. The 545’s are located in San Francisco in a room of similar size to yours. The 845’s are in a much larger room.

At my “Ranch” (2 hours away) I have a pair of 845’s. There is a SL “sound”, but also different and shared characteristics. I love them both but for different reasons. Of course room acoustics are a big factor, which complicates matters.

And, of course, there is the WAF!

Weather or not you should move up is a very personal decision. Bigger my be better, but not necessarily!

Best, if you can, come listen to both and decide for yourself!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by TWB.
        chungjh
        Participant

Dr. West always recommends that you get the biggest SLs that will fit in your room. I have M545 in a room 15x17x9 and it sounds great. Despite its small size, with bass focus, it has enough bass and sound level for me. I don’t listen at high volumes, so it has served me well. Plus, it is not humongous, so the wife acceptance factor is high. Still, I am wondering if moving up to M645 improve my sound quality even more. With only 2 ft width, I get very sharp imaging with my M545, but since M645 is a foot wider, I may lose the sharp imaging.

Do you recommend moving up to M645?

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.