One speaker just hums, no sound

home Forums General Discussion One speaker just hums, no sound

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ernestov
      Participant

You do not need to replace the whole back plate. First verify that the bias power supply is in fact the problem by swapping the left channel backplate with the right channel. Then take pictures of the back backplate and email them to Dr West. He will guide you in the diagnostic process. He will look for the spare components that you need to replace and ship them to you if you choose not to send the whole backplate in for repair at the factory.

John V
        Participant

Hi Jay,

The newer bias supplies should be a drop in replacement.
          Again, speak to Connie at the factory
          and she should be able to guide you accordingly.

Good luck!
          John

chungjh
          Participant

John V,

Is Dr. West using a different bias power supply now? Are the new ones more reliable? Can you put them on my older M545?

Jay

John V
            Participant

Most likely the bias supply is defective, I would contact the factory for further advice and obtaining a replacement supply.
              You might want to replace the bias supply in both backplates with the latest version as the supplies are now regulated and will maintain proper bias regardless of line voltage variations.

John

Ezequiel64
              Participant

I would check the high voltage transformer is properly plugged in to the high voltage box. Then, check that the other wire coming from that transformer is secured to ground.

chungjh
                Participant

Hi All

I hope everyone is doing well. I haven’t been listening to my system for about a month and when I turned it on today, one side was not making any sound. I switched the backplates and now it is the other side that is not making any sound. The backplate that is not making any sound doesn’t crackle when I turn up the bias. I just hear a hum. Does anyone know what could be wrong.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.