R1 interface questions…..

home Forums General Discussion R1 interface questions…..

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jean
      Participant

The one “open” end on the audiotrafo means that it is gone. Roger will probably propose to swap it for a new one. I had the same issue with my R1’s, and I replaced the audiotrafo on both of them. The R1’s are worth it as they are excellent speakers! When you are working on them, you might as well upgrade the bias circuit. Also check with Roger on this one.

waystat
          Participant

Thanks people! I am encouraged. Will wait for Roger’s reply.

…..the one that works sounds amazing!

Wayne

Jean
              Participant

Do you only have the R1’s or also the sub’s (S1)?

waystat
                  Participant

I have just the R1….but use some small Dynaudio subs to help out with the low end. BTW….do you know if it is possible to disassemble the panels for a gentle cleaning? Seems like it might be difficult to do in a non-invasive manner….

Jean
                      Participant

To be short: no, you can not take them apart. One of them had tipped over at the previous owner when he removed the electronics, causing the wood and ESL elements to separate. Luckily for me the ESL elements all survived the impact (excellent quality), but the wooden panels came apart. Because of the curved design it was very difficult to get them all glued together again (front and back). So be careful when you remove the electronics. They become very unstable without the counterweight of the trafos! On the other hand, the panes were clean, no dust or dirt on them. Even after 40+ years! So I don’t think cleaning is necessary when they have been in a non-smoker environment. Attached pictures from the ESL elements before repair.

//Jean

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                ghenschke
                Participant

Best to wait for Roger’s reply. I’m not familiar with the R1 electronics. Good luck getting it repaired and it would be nice to hear what it was once you’re up and running again. Regards, George

ghenschke
                  Participant

Sounds like your high voltage bias supply might be going.

waystat
                      Participant

Hello! In fact, I had a chance to measure the transformers in the interface today. The “AC power” interface measured 160 ohms on the primary and 6370 ohms on the secondary. The audio transformer measured 0.7 ohms on the primary 163 ohms on one secondary and was “open” on the other secondary(see attached image) Looks like your are correct! I have a message in to Roger in the hopes of getting a replacement transformer, or the specs so I can try to find one. In the meantime, if you (or anyone you know) might have an R1 interface or transformer I could buy, that would be GREAT! I know the R1 are old, but both panels are working well and they are most definitely worth saving!!!

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      waystat
                      Participant

Greetings to the group! One of the interfaces on my R1 is having problems. Very audible 60Hz hum (even with no audio input connected). It will produce sound at fairly large power inputs, then blows its 0.25A fuse. A quick look inside does not reveal any physical distress. The panel itself is OK (swapped interfaces/panels to make sure). Any troubleshooting tips or other advice? Thanks! -Wayne

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.