Safely modding

home Forums General Discussion Safely modding

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeB
      Participant

For something different than my two previous black pairs, I asked for a brown option. I was sent a few different fabric color/style choices and ended up going with what is pictured.

As a side note, I too thought that the proverbial Guilford of Maine fabrics would not be sufficiently stretchy and that there was a reason why spandex was seemingly SoundLab’s preferred acoustic fabric of choice.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Mikko
        Participant

Maybe shoot them an email and ask if they carry a more stretchy fabric? I remember bookmarking that site because I wanted something a little more tasteful then industrial black….

Then life being life……

angaria
          Participant

Thanks, Mikko! Certainly do want acoustic transparency. The socks on the M1’s currently feel like what would be called 4-way stretch. I can’t tell if anything on acousticalsolutions will be stretchy or more of the typical non-stretch speaker grille fabric.

Mikko
            Participant

Oh btw, I wouldn’t use “spandex” here’s a link for the correct kind of acoustic fabrics for speakers:

https://acousticalsolutions.com/product-category/acoustic-fabrics/

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Mikko.
              • This reply was modified 7 months ago by Mikko.
              Mikko
              Participant

It might be a good idea to listen to them for awhile first. Get a feel for what they sound like in your room. Placement / position is the key.

I’ve sent my plates to the factory and had them do the hot rod and pretty much everything they offer, plus a couple of my own mods. Silver WBT posts etc..

Did it do anything? Idk… it’s fun to mod, but I don’t really think the money I spent was a night/day improvement.

These speakers are built pretty much at the peak of their performance imo. Make sure you have plenty of good power to run them. And I can’t stress enough proper placement and getting them dialed in.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                angaria
                Participant

The only mod requested by my spouse: change the sock color to a shade of blue. Has anyone bought spandex and done this?

angaria
                  Participant

Just received a used pair of m1s and of course I want to experiment with modding already:)

Is there anything that I need to discharge from the back plates before taking out the potentiometer, so I don’t get zapped when I’m working on them?

In your personal experience, what have you found to be the most dramatic mods?

Thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.