Sound Lab Minimum Impedance?

home Forums General Discussion Sound Lab Minimum Impedance?

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Sorry for the late response – wish follow up feature worked for me.

Pretty sure I found it here linked from one of Dr. West’s responses to another SLOG user.

ACHiPo
        Participant

Ralph,
          This is great. Thank you! Where did that graph come from?
          Evan

Anonymous

Note that review is twenty years old. I think the following is more representative of current transformer design.

ACHiPo
            Participant

After I posted this I vaguely remembered a Stereophile review with measurements, so I have the data I was looking for. The Brilliance Control plays a huge role in what the amp sees. I’m currently running the Brilliance Control at ~1:00 position, which according to the Stereophile article should put minimum impedance somewhere between 2 and 4 Ohms, which should be fine for most good amps.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sound-lab-1-electrostatic-loudspeaker-measurements

ACHiPo
              Participant

A lot of amplifiers understandably struggle driving impedance below 2 Ohms. I know Sound Lab impedance drops pretty low above 10kHz, but I can’t remember seeing a curve. Where can I find an impedance vs. frequency? If an amp says it can’t be used below 2 Ohms is that a show stopper given the relatively low energy in high frequency music?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.