Sound Lab recommendations for a small room

home Forums General Discussion Sound Lab recommendations for a small room

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      russellgnv
      Participant

Thanks again for the informative responses. This is a great forum.
        Russell

kingdeezie
        Participant

I would email Dr. West. Sometimes it takes time for Sound Labs to answer, but they would know best.

They are very friendly and helpful.

rluciano
          Participant

I hope this won’t sidetrack the discussion but I haven’t bought Soundlabs yet and I’m intrigued by TWB’s comment about panel radiating area in square inches versus room volume in cubic feet. Is there a formula or chart relating these two.I want to make sure that I choose a speaker with more than adequate radiating area for my room but that still fit.

Thanks

D10
            Participant

Russell, in your room you can put whatever you can afford . The bigger panel, the better efficiency and sound. You can always sit in near field position .
              M vs U models – huge sound difference. That is why U is much more expensive. More rigid frame – less coloration, much better bass, better soundstage, etc…

kingdeezie
              Participant

When I ordered my speakers in September of 2018, I had this same conversation with Dr. West.

My listening room at the time was almost identical to yours; 11 x 18 x 8.

I was torn between the U545 or the M645.

Dr. West recommended the M645 given the size of the room. I would think sizing the panel is the most important, followed by the frame material.

Right now after moving, I’m in a smaller listening room and the 645s still work well.

chungjh
                Participant

According to Dr. West, the frame U vs M makes no sonic difference. Largely appearance difference.

russellgnv
                  Participant

Thanks to all for the advice. Do you think there would be much difference in SQ between the 545 and 645 in a room this size? Also, is there a difference in SQ between the Ultimate line and the Majestic?
                    Russell

hifibuff
                    Participant

Hi Russellgnv,
                      I also had a room with similar dimensions. I use A3 non PX. They worked very very well in that room with the gear I had.

TWB

Hi Russell,
                        In my San Francisco residence I have the Ultimate 545PXs in a room very close to the dimensions of yours. I am extremely pleased with the sound. The volume of the room in cubic feet is the critical factor in determining minimum panel size. You can always go bigger without a problem, so long as they fit in the room! This opinion comes directly from Dr. West.

I have a second system in my country residence in a much larger room with the Ultimate-1PX panels. The sound has the same character, but presents a much larger sound stage. The 545s would not do as well in this room, as the radiating area of the panel in square inches is not adequate to activate all of the in air in the room, which is an important factor in giving Sound Labs their exceptional quality.

You are welcome to visit and hear them for yourself.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by TWB.
                        Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        lotus123
                        Participant

No worries I have similar footage except my ceiling is higher at 15 ft. You have enough to enjoy the SL with the mono blocs you have.

russellgnv
                          Participant

I have a 12x17x9 ft room, and I’m considering Sound Lab. I would appreciate any recommendations, cautions, or otherwise from the SLOG. I plan to use my Rowland 725 monoblocks for power.
                            Thanks in advance,
                            Russell

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.