SoundLab Virgin: M1-PX with CJ ET-7SA, CJ Premiere 350

home Forums General Discussion SoundLab Virgin: M1-PX with CJ ET-7SA, CJ Premiere 350

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ernestov
      Participant

Thank you BobbyLee. You are absolutely right! I have heard from various members that SL speakers sound great even when there is no spacing between the side walls and the speakers

bobbylee
        Participant

Hello ernestov,

Was rereading the soundlab website to get tips on speaker placement; under Technology/Set-up Tips: “Side-wall placing is not particularly critical with our speakers. This is because an energy null exists at the sides of the speakers and little energy reaches the side walls”. However the site states: “As a starting point, set the speakers about 3 feet from the back wall and toe them in such that if imaginary perpendicular lines were to extend from the center of each speaker, they would cross at your head”. I have a room that is 25″ by 15″, I am set up along one of the short walls. Now have Ultimate 1-PX, they are about 5 feet from the backwall and about 12 feet apart, listening distance is about 16 feet, units toed-in only about 15 degrees. Can’t hear the speakers anymore, really just hear sound from a field that spans the entire far end of the room. Sounds like a live concert. Love these transducers.

bobbylee
          Participant

Thanks for the advice, if I get the chance I will try an active crossover. I think I may be done for a while though; I am very satisfied with these transducers and I think I will just spend time listening to beautiful music.

kilkil
              Participant

My usual goal is usually aim the speaker directly at the ear (left speaker at left ear, right speaker at right ear) and usually too lazy to do too much playing around as long as everything sounds good.

I more recently leaned forward for more critical listening and discovered leaning forward about a foot optimizes the sound and about 2 feet start to degrade the sound slightly.

this means i need to play with my speakers a bit more.
                currently my room is about 16×30 (vaulted ceiling) and open to the kitchen, thus really 16×50. Speakers on short wall, 1 speaker against wall, the other about 6 ft apart. about 6ft from back wall and I sit about in the middle of the room at 11ft away

ernestov
              Participant

Thank you for the clarification. Nice system. If you ever get a chance, experiment using an active crossover. It would make the Soundlabs even more transparent and dynamic if they do not have to handle any of the primary, second or third harmonics of the lower frequencies.

ernestov
                Participant

1. What cross-over do you use to cross the M1’s and JL Audio Sub?
                  2. Aren’t your M1’s too close to the walls? I have been told that I need 3′ away from the sidewalls, maybe not???

bobbylee
                    Participant

Hi ernestov,

No cross over so to speak,the Conrad Johnson preamp has two outputs, main1 goes to the power amp, main2 goes to the JL Audio sub. The full audio signal is low passed (in the sub) at 80 Hz. I suppose they may be too close, but I set them up this way initially and have not heard anything deleterious (first, early reflection from the wall).I did move them in about 2 or 3 feet from the sidewall but I did not hear any improvement in how they sound. I run the sub with the M1’s,not at a high level. The sub fills in the lowest reaches, 20-40 Hz and supplements 40-80 Hz.

ernestov
                    Participant

Do you run your JL Audio Sub with your M1’s?

bobbylee
                      Participant

Fell in love with electrostatics the first time I heard a pair 20 years ago. I have upgraded most every component (latest system-5 channel, analog) in the last year. Retired a Spectron D class amp for the Premiere 350. Huge improvement in instrument resolution, clarity and resolution, bass much tighter. Retired a Conrad Johnson ET5 preamp (5 channel analog, tube) and got the ET7-SA. Again, a huge improvement in clarity, precision especially in cymbals, triangles, brass…etc. Pulled the trigger and got a well cared-for pair of M1-PX and changed out Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers.

Heaven. These transducers are amazing. It’s been a 40 year adventure and I am finally hearing true high fidelity. I have never heard reproduced audio sound like a live performance; a voice or horn or piano sound like it is being generated by a person in the room or a person playing the instrument in the room. What a joy, Thanks Dr. West!!

I purchased these units from an interesting man; he has created a methodology he calls- Ambiophonics. A rather brilliant man who has researched psychoachoustics, hearing anatomy and physiology, recording methodologies, the equilateral triangle placement of speakers and listener and developed a method to vastly improve the performance of current audio reproduction systems. I am just starting to investigate this man’s work and I have heard a system utilizing his methodologies and it is shocking. There is a website, ambiophonics.org

At any rate wanted to say hello and introduce myself as another member who has made his amplifier very happy by affording it the right to finally be hooked up to a fine electrostatic!

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.