U-1PX

home Forums General Discussion U-1PX

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by TWB.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      TWB

The rooms are very different, making it difficult to give you a definitive answer. I can say that the larger panels in the much larger room have brought the sound quality in the two rooms closer together, although the sound stage at the Ranch id definitely larger.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by TWB.
        chungjh
        Participant

Tom, I am curious about the difference between your 545 and 845. I know the 845 is more efficient and goes down lower. But most music that I hear doesn’t go dow below 35 hz. I also listen alone. Would you say 845 sounds noticeably better than 545 in the respective rooms?

Thanks, Jay

MikeB
          Participant

TWB said: “but the bigger panels also go deeper and are more efficient, presenting an easier load for my Pass Lab XA-60.8 amplifiers. They no longer strain on higher loud notes, and handle bass with aplomb.”

Tom, it is good to know that your new 845 panels with bass focus tech., are now being driven without strain on the “higher loud notes”.

In a previous thread you said:
            “However, I do believe the U-1PX panels would benefit with more Class A power, and at some point in the future, I expect to move up, probably to the XA-200.8 amps.”

Prior to your new findings about the XA60.8, I figured at a minimum, Pass XA160.8’s would be needed to come close to the levels provided by my Atma-sphere MA1’s. Is it now safe to assume that you will no longer be seeking more Pass Class “A” power with your new 845’s? If so and no additional power is needed to attain symphonic or rock levels, then it is great to know that high quality Class A power becomes much more economical.

TWB

Dr. West says no sonic difference. Personally, I think perhaps the Ultimate frame results in a bit more efficiency. Since the panel is more rock solid in the frame, all the energy is converted into sound. If the panel has any movement at all in a less solid surround, some energy may be lost. This doesn’t necessarily mean it sounds different sonically.

TWB

Dr. West says no sonic difference. Personally, I think perhaps the Ultimate frame results in a bit more efficiency. Since the panel is more rock solid in the frame, all the energy is converted into sound. If the panel has any movement at all in a less solid surround, some energy may be lost. This doesn’t necessarily mean it sounds different sonically.

chungjh
                Participant

Do you think that the U frame makes any sonic difference? Or just cosmetic?

TWB

Hi John- Thanks for the suggestion, it really makes sense to maintain the elegance of the Ultimate design.

TWB

Hi John- Thanks for the suggestion, it really makes sense to maintain the elegance of the Ultimate design.

TWB

TWB

John V
                          Participant

Hi Tom,

Congrats on your new 845 panels.

I did the same when i upgraded my U790’s.

One thing I did for my frames, and you might consider for yourself, is to have a set of extensions made by Roger’s frame fabricator so the frames now match the height of the new panels.

The extensions have a slotted inner tube that slides into the open top of the frame and neatly finishes the look. The extensions were unpainted when I received them and i had an auto body shop paint them to match the existing finish.

Attached are a few pictures along with Roger’s diagram showing their construction.

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            TWB

I’m pleased to announce that my new panels finally arrived, after a six month wait. I was worth it!

However, a bit of a surprise- what I thought I had ordered would be identical the original panels, I now have 845 panels! While unexpected, perhaps a blessing. The Bass Focus design definitely superior, but the bigger panels also go deeper and are more efficient, presenting an easier load for my Pass Lab XA-60.8 amplifiers.They no longer strain on higher loud notes, and handle bass with aplomb. Overall, a great step up- the best sound ever in my 20+ years of Sound Labs!

Roger noted that many U-1PX owners have done this, and sent photos.
                              Here’s mine:

Attachments:
                              WillB
                              Participant

I’m interested in your opinion in the bass focus panels when you get them. I too am waiting for my 90-degree A1 panels to get the bass focus upgrade.

I am glad that the factory is “swamped” (because their success is ours too, as users of their excellent products) and it is great to hear all the support (sales) that’s being given to Dr. West and his excellent staff. Luckily, I was able to acquire a used pair of A3PX 45-degree speakers before I surrendered my A1’s with their original 1994 panels so I’m content to wait as long as required.

I am surprised there is so little activity here. Where is everyone? Perhaps listening to their Sound Labs and living their lives.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by WillB.
                                TWB

These panels (also offered in a subsequent posting) have been sold. Thus, this listing is no longer available. I am awaiting delivery of the new set of Bass Focus panels that will be placed in these Ultimate frames.

Sound Lab is currently swamped with orders and running behind schedule. If you are thinking of ordering a new pair, I suggest you do so now and get on the waiting list!

TWB

Please see listing in “For Sale”

Attachments:
                                Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.