What is behind your Sound Labs?

home Forums General Discussion What is behind your Sound Labs?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ST
      Participant

I prefer them placed almost touching each other. I get 180 degrees soundstage provided the recordings have such wide soundstage. But then this is not a typical setup as one requires to have interaural crosstalk cancellation implemented.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        atedeschi
        Participant

I’ve always gone for maximum soundstage palpability, and over the years I’ve found that image depth increases in proportion to the distance of the A1s to the front wall. Currently they’re 11′ from the front wall. I’m lucky enough to now have a listening room 45’long, so low bass into the 20 hz region is reproduced very accurately. Also, the speakers have only a few degrees of toe-in, which also contributes to a wide and accurate soundstage. In the front corners are two Realtraps angled out at 45 degrees plus two more closely behind the speakers on the side walls that really helps with nulling out bass decay overhang. I’m also using RoomTunes (6 total) and CornerTunes — see the photo for positioning. And lets not forget the rug on the back wall which does a great job of scattering rear-wave highs. I know this all seems like overkill, but every piece of treatment plus speaker positioning are critical to getting to my goals.

Attachments:

MikeB, good post – as always.

ACHiPo
            Participant

My set up.

Attachments:
              ACHiPo
              Participant

Once again wishing there was a like button

MikeB
              Participant

SoundLab Dealer and dipole designer/manufacturer, Duke LeJeune, posted the following in an Audiogon thread titled: “Dipole speakers, subwoofers and that rear wall”

“The ear does not perceive comb filter effects from reflections the same way a microphone registers them, so in general reflections are far more benign than they look “on paper”.” “But if reflections arrive too early, they still can be detrimental to clarity.” “According to acoustic and psychoacoustic researcher David Griesinger, ten milliseconds of essentially reflection-free time is sufficient.”

“Sound travels approximately one foot per millisecond, so the implication of Griesnger’s finding is that ideally we’d want to position dipole speakers about five feet out from the front wall, which would result in a backwave reflection path length of ten feet, and a delay of about ten milliseconds.”

“In my experience, if dipoles (or bipoles) are placed less than 3 feet from the wall behind them, aggressively treating the backwave is usually a good idea.” “This can be absorption or diffusion or re-directing the reflection away from the listening area.”

“At distances between 3 and 5 feet it’s more of a judgment call as to whether or not you need to treat the backwave.” “Imo in general re-directing the reflection and/or diffusion are preferable to absorption.”

My experience with two different rooms and 3-different pairs of SoundLabs, correlates with Duke’s recommendations.

With my Majestic 845’s pulled out into the room approx. 7′, the 6′ x 3′ free standing sound absorption panels I tried on the wall behind the speakers, removed the liveliness from the sound. Obviously, more than anything else, the room dictates what should, or should not be done.

I do have a partial wall of drapes between/behind my SoundLabs (see picture). However, the drapes were installed for room darkening, but they may also have a sonic effect.

A comment was made about a bookcase and books, for a similar result, I’ve also seen a bookcase housing 500 to over 1,000 vinyl albums, placed between and behind a pair of A1 SoundLabs.

Attachments:
                  ACHiPo
                  Participant

Well I’ve heard Mike’s set up and it does not disappoint.

Dizzie
                  Participant

Thanks for the pictures and information. Keep the info coming. Now I have absorption but someday I will pull it down to compare. I have four 2×4′ panels. One behind each speaker and two between. I doubt panels are that absorptive. Each has “allegedly” 2″ thick foam but really the foam is only 1″ thick and wavy making it 2″ from back to front.

kilkil
                    Participant

I use built-in bookcase/cabinet/fireplace with miscellaneous stuff on it (that I placed there before the soundlabs, when i had my system on the wall to the right).

Attachments:
                      Mikko
                      Participant

I have a pair of Real Traps Mondo bass panels on stands. Another pair mounted on the wall directly behind the listening position.

Attachments:
                        Pinotnoir
                        Participant

I’m using mostly difussion and some absortion, the result us very impressive in terms of space and 3D sound, the Soundlab M545 responds immediately positioning the diffusers, making clear where to set the focus.

Attachments:
                          Massimo Stefanizzi
                          Participant

ASC Tube Traps, flat trap and books. Books are always the best device 😉

Attachments:
                            Dizzie
                            Participant

What are you using behind your Sound Labs and have you compared with other treatment or no treatment? Absorption, diffusion, or no treatment?

Specific brand and model names of treatment would be appreciated.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.